Pizza, one true classic big love.
There are plenty of new fancy pizzas, but you never forget the first love: Margherita. Here you have a simple home made recipe with fresh and raw.
You can add a sparkle to your Margherita choosing the toppings you prefer, imagination has no limits, but Ananas only if Italians will have to eat it (or see you eating it ;-))
For the dough:
- 500g wheat flour
- approx. 250 ml water
- 1 pack yeast
- 1 tbsp of extra vergin olive oil
- a pinch of salt
For the topping (traditional Margherita, or as a base)
- tomato sauce (“pomodori pelati”)
- mozzarella fior di latte
- Take the flour and add it on a surface and make a hole in the middle
- Add the small bag of yeast, a pinch of salt, and some oil – not too much as it’s supposed just to soften the dough
- Add some water continuously and slowly until the pasta is compact (pay attention not to make it too dry)
- Work the pasta with your hand several times until you feel it’s ready. You have to do it many times until you have what in Naples is called “Mano calda”, the hand which feels the dough.
- Once you have the small ball of dough, make a cross in the center and put a bit of flour on top
- Get a bowl (no glass, ideally wood) and add some flour at the bottom and put to dough inside. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel
- Let the dough rest for a minimum of 4 hours (the longer the better)
- After that, take an oven or pizza tray and spread the dough on it
- Turn on the oven on 150/180°C
- Add all your favorite ingredients on your pizza dough (we prefer a simple Margherita with mozzarella fior di latte as mozzarella di bufala leaves some extra liquid)
- Add the pizza in the oven for about 35-40 minutes at 150/180°C (it depends a lot on your oven).
E buon appetito!